Tuesday, November 11, 2008

This thing called "Ministry"

Ephesians 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Recently I was again going through the book of 1 Corinthians in my personal time with God. As I came to this book I was somehow struck by the idea of what Paul said in 1 Timothy 1:12, where Paul writes, "And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;".

Could Paul actually be glad that He was in the ministry and having to write the kind of book he wrote to such a church as he found in Corinth? So I began to go back through the book and take note of how Paul "ministered." What areas Paul used "ministry." Asking myself, "What is this thing called 'ministry?'" Now, there are many things I have probably missed and I am not intending this to become a novel or exercise in some great spiritual study, but it is a bit interesting to pick out some things and I hope you will continue to see what Scripture alludes to as the "ministry" to which Christ has called us.

The first passage of note to me was found in 1 Corinthians 3:9-10, "For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building. (10) According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it."

Paul points out that our ministry is one of co-laboring and establishment of the foundation of Christ. Remember Paul is dealing with a schism that is threatening the church. The issue revolved around clicks.

"I am of Apollos!"
"Well, I am of Paul."
"Humph, I am of Cephas!"
"You are just not as spiritual as I for I am of Christ!"

Paul reminds his readers that each of these men that they are looking to, even Christ Himself, is co-laboring for the cause. The challenge I received from this as a "co-laborer" is that my competition is not with those men who are working in God's field, but with the one who wants to destroy the souls of man, the devil.

The church is God's building, the field where He wishes to establish His church and the tower of truth for the world to see Christ. We are working together in this "ministry" that God has so graciously called us to so that construction and not destruction can take place. Ministry is not competition but participation.

One disclaimer here that I guess needs to be added is that I do not believe in an ecumenical approach however. For the foundation must be sure and if our Gospel is hid it is hid to those that are lost. I will not align with those who wish to change or distort the foundation, Christ. I will work, however, with any man who wishes to hold to the integrity of truth and the validity of God's inerrant Word.

Let's not forget that this thing called ministry is one of cooperation. In my first ministry I felt the strain of competition. With "good" churches all around you the sense of being a sheep stealer or a member grabber was always pervasive. You knew that if one of your members had an issue they could just show up at "Brother So-n-So's" church next Sunday and you were none the wiser. Churches merely rotated members and pastors neither sought nor encouraged restoration or resolution before accepting those strays. We are co-laborers. Since coming to Madison, I have had the great opportunity to meet some men who are striving to start and build churches in and around this city. It has been great to hear how they are seeking ways to promote all the churches that preach the Gospel in this town. God will increase our fold as we demonstrate a working love for the body of Christ. When we realize that God has each one of us with strengths and abilities that will reach some while another church across town perhaps will be better equipped to reach others. One sows, another waters, and perhaps we will have opportunity to even see the reaping, but ultimately it is God that brings the increase.

This thing called ministry is the body of Christ working as a body to accomplish locally and collectively what God has left us here to do. May God teach us to stand together and accomplish more together by praying for one another, encouraging one another, and promoting one another. Let's quit being on the defensive or offensive amongst our own, but let's stand against the one who truly wants to hinder and destroy our ministries, satan!

No comments: