Tuesday, November 18, 2008

This thing called "Ministry" (Part 2)

Last week I began a thought that came to my mind one day while sitting here in my office and thinking, "What is this thing called Ministry?" I know what I think it is and after being involved with ministry for nearly all of my life, I guess I can imagine it, but what do we find in Scripture? So, as I was reading through 1 Corinthians I came across some things that stuck out to me regarding "This thing called Ministry."

In 1 Corinthians 4:1, 2 Paul makes this statement:
Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. (NASB)

The King James translates the word "servants" here as "ministers" in verse one. The word "faithful" in verse 2 of the KJV is here translated "trustworthy." As servants/ministers, we have been given some great responsibilities. Paul notes a few of these.

First he speaks of the mysteries of God. The things that God has revealed and disclosed to the world. The means of this disclosure in now understood primarily as through His Word. We have been given stewardship, guardianship, or custody for safe keeping and proliferation of these mysteries.

Then Paul goes further to announce a characteristic of these stewards, trustworthy/faithful. So, what is this thing called ministry? It is stewardship of the mysteries of God as faithful and trustworthy in character.

How are we doing today? As I see it many are sacrificing the integrity and richness of God's revelation on the alter of self preservation or self proliferation. They are blinding their people to the fullness of God's Word in order to embellish their program models and marketing tactics. Many pastors have become enamored more with building the castle walls than establishing truth as its foundation. They are doing away with honest exploration in exchange for the pragmatic and modernistic approach to the mysteries of God.

I have a duty that Paul later explains more fully to another minster of the Gospel, Timothy.
You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work. I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.
(2 Timothy 3:14-4:4)

This thing called ministry is me guarding against the temptation of my humanity to be liked and applauded rather than being honest and truthful. It is to be a steward of that truth, to proclaim it as truth, and not to mingle it with acceptable rhetoric. It is my duty as a minister of the truth to stand for it and uphold it. I don't necessarily have to defend it, but I do need to proclaim it and stand upon it. I am its steward! I am the one responsible to teach it and commit it to other faithful men. It is part of my calling, part of my duty, and part of my responsibility as a Minister in this thing called Ministry.

Don't get caught in the trap of excusing the Bible or placating it to a realm of anemic potency. Faithfully proclaim it from your pulpit and live it before your audience. Don't make up justification for your lack of study or preparation to tackle the tough questions or deal with the difficult issues. It is your job to minister the mysteries. Take it serious and own up to your vocation. Be the proclaimer, the preacher, the mouthpiece God has called you to be.

No comments: