Wednesday, July 1, 2009

This thing called "Ministry" (Part 11)

It has taken me some time to come back to this thought due to church commitments and then other personal matters, but also because I did not want to come into this next passage flippantly. We have been going through 1 Corinthians and seeing how Paul handled this thing called "Ministry."

I am a minister of the Gospel. I am a minister in my church. I am a minister at home and wherever I find myself. To be a minister is not something that comes with one approach and only one manifestation. To be a minister in this thing called ministry means that I have to be in control of my flesh, and be controlled by the Holy Spirit. But Paul also leads us to see that ministry is also about being controlled by Love.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

If I wish to speak to the needs of man and I have no love for him then it does him nor me any good. It is simply a lot of noise making. It may even sound pretty, but in the end it does not give us any melody or do much for harmony.

If I wish to proclaim the wonders of God's written word so as to impart understanding to the masses and even if my ability in faith is capable of hurtling mountains from their moorings and have no love, I am nothing.

If I gave everything I owned to feed and clothe the poor and even gave my own body up to be burned for the cause of Christ and yet have not love, it profits no one.

So many times I can get caught up in the doing and Paul reminds me that the doing is not as important as the decision to love those to whom we are doing it for and to. The messages I preach and the programs I organize will not avail to anything unless we have love for these people.

A minister is one who speaks, imparts God's Word, demonstrates faith, shows surrender, and reveals character by LOVE not titles, degrees, and even years of resume experience.

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. (John 13:34)

The Christian life is a life of relationship. Imagine the relationship one would have with his or her spouse if love was ever in question. The divorce rate of our country is reflective of man's opinion of love. We move from one love to the next, from one desire to the next. The consumer mentality of our love lives is evident in the material greed and the moral degradation all around us.

But notice what Christ said...."A new commandment."

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (Matthew 5:44)

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; (Ephesians 5:25)

That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:16-19)

And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; (Philippians 1:9)

Why do we not get it? The image of Christ is at stake. The purpose of the church is brought to bear. The power of the Spirit is made anemic when we choose not to love. When we choose not to love we choose to not care for and demonstrate the sacrifice of Christ, the magnitude of Christ, the preeminence of Christ by our love. When we seek to deny love we proclaim self as supreme and man as superior. We announce weakness as victorious and pride as the winner.

This thing called ministry is about how we love and if we love. It has never been about who. For even our worst of associates and our most dreaded of compatriots is brought into the circle of those with whom we are to demonstrate love as God has commanded.

Of course that is not easy. But what in the Christian life has ever been "easy?" That is why the Christian experience is a race, a battle, a field plowing experience. We wage war against the natural man everyday and we do not like being told what to do let alone who to love and how to love. We want to pick our vices and pick our friends. We want to choose our associates and compliment our likes and dislikes by the people who share in the same.

To love the unlovable and not get anything in return? Unheard of! To simply do it because God said so? Now wait a minute! I did not sign up for that kind of ministry. I want to do it my way and get something tangible for it.

May we soon remember that God got a raw deal when He chose to love us. Christ suffered immeasurably when He chose to love us. The Holy Spirit is even grieved at times with us as our indwelling representative of God when we choose to refuse to love and obey.

Ministry is about loving others as Christ loved us. May we choose wisely and quit with all the loud banging and haughty mindedness that is ruining the church. May we show love, live love, give love, and have love one for another.

Now that is ministry!

No comments: