Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Allow for Space in the Music

I frequently get e-newsletters from Christianity Today (a very evangelical magazine and ezine). Some of them are good and some are infuriating, but this particular article stood out to me as one that was well written and challenging.

The content is about dealing with the uncomfortable situation of being a true friend to some individual suffering through chronic or lifelong pain or suffering. What words of comfort are truly comforting? What words are well intended but in the end cause more frustration or feelings of wanting to withdraw even more.

As a pastor there are times I feel void of any ability to offer hope to someone. I have individuals in my family and in my church who struggle with persistent physical or emotional turmoil. What are my choices of communicating hope to these people. What can I say that won't hurt them more and drive them deeper into despair?

This article was a good reminder of some things to be aware of and conscious of. There are times we are totally unaware of the burdens that some people carry and so we find ourselves saying things that are hurtful without knowing it. Those are different situations from the ones that this article addresses.

May we learn to Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. (Romans 12:15)

I like the last part of the article where it derives the title. Sometimes it comes down to us simply living out the truth we wish to verbally share. Sometimes we simply need to shut our mouths and let our actions relay the truth of comfort the person truly needs.


Allow for Space in the Music | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

No comments: