Friday, October 10, 2008

Death Before Time


We have some friends who are going through a tough time in their lives today. Warren Brokering, a man not much older than myself is in his last days of enduring the trial of colon cancer. His wife and three small children have been a real testimony of how God guides and nurtures His children in times that don't seem to make sense. Warren and I served for a brief time together in my first pastorate. He will be remembered as a man with great ability to see the humor in life and also as a man who could draw attention to His God. Pray for Tana and their three little ones. Pray that God would be glorified and honored in death as well as in life. The situation reminds me of Paul's words as he speaks with the Philippian believers and he says, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labor: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait between two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:"
(Philippians 1:21-23)

Although Paul would continue to live for a time longer, the sentiment rings true. To live on this earth grants us time to express Christ with others. Our lives should be such a resemblance of His character, His grace, His conduct that those who touch us are more affected by the hand of God than by our mere human abilities. However, to die is no threat. It produces sorrow in the hearts of those we love and who truly love us, but it is a fleeting moment in the light of eternity. To die is gain. The gain of heaven, the repose of God's presence, the reality of sin removed and all of its horrible effects. My heart breaks for Tana and those children. My heart is also jealous of Warren. Not that anyone wants to face death in suffering as he has had to endure, but to be with Christ,the Savior, the hope of my eternal existence, my Lord, and my King. Warren, you are beating us to the reward! Amen!

May God grant peace and comfort as only HE can. And should death come before our presumed time, may our tombstones read of love and convictions. May our lives truly be Christ to those around us and may we find it a great gain to see our Lord. May the cares of this world not hold so tightly that we would even hesitate to want to be with our Lord.

Warren...till we meet again, my Brother!

No comments: